Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 10: Posting about health on Facebook - a do or a don't?



Before I started this challenge I was a bit shy about this blog. I wanted to raise awareness about endometriosis but I didn't want to annoy everyone by filling up their feeds or by bombarding them with information so they just shut down. It was also scary to put my hand up and say that I have endometriosis, and associated anxiety, particularly because of reactions I have gotten in the past.  So I kept it off Facebook. I hoped that it would reach the people it needed to through word of mouth or that indispensable thing called Google.

However, since posting my blog on Facebook for this challenge, the response has been far from negative. I've had a lot of people (who I didn't realise were reading my blog) contact me and tell me that they are enjoying reading. Thankfully I also have a very supportive family who have been following along and reading, and even spruiking it (as my brother says) in their feeds. At least a few people have learnt that endometriosis existed from this blog, which I count as a success, and I hope that everyone is learning more about what effect it has on people who have it.

Not everything on Facebook (and in life) should be about health of course. It needs to be balanced, otherwise it can get annoying, really become too much information and the person can go into a negative spiral. I don't really put statuses up on Facebook about my endometriosis experience for those reasons, and instead keep it to this blog where people can make the choice to read. However, as a society I think we need to be more open and communicative about health. More knowledge benefits everyone. There is too much shame and secrecy surrounding so many illnesses when there need not be.

At the end of the day, if I don't speak up about endometriosis, who will? It has to start with the people who are suffering. So posting about health on Facebook? I say it's a do (within reason).

PS - Please comment if you have any questions you'd like me to cover about endo - I'm open to it all :)

_________________________________________________________________________________

This month I will be taking part in National Health Blog Post Month. Check back every day to see the new topic and learn more about endometriosis. Today's topic is: "Should people post about their (or loved ones') health on Facebook? Why/why not?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...